Recognizing subtle signs that you might need heating system repair in the middle of winter is extremely important. This way, you can call in the professionals to make repairs right away before you have to go any extended periods of time without heat. Here are five signs that you need to call for at least an inspection or possible heating repairs:
- Odd Nosies: The first sign could be odd noises coming from the vents. Be sure to check for any sounds every once in a while by turning off music and the TV and just listening to the heat work in your home. It may seem like a strange thing to do, but it's important for your own benefit to be sure that the heat is working properly. Besides, some problems could be so small that the repair takes no time at all, but they will prevent a bigger repair from being needed in the future. However, it could also be a major issue that needs addressing right away before the heat gives out entirely.
- Your Bill Is High: If you note that your heating bill is much higher than it was around the same time last year, it could be that it's colder this year, thus requiring you to use the heat more. However, it could also be that your heater is working too hard because there's a problem. If you notice this, be sure to get an inspection right away to double check.
- Your Home Isn't Heating Up: If you notice that you need to turn your thermostat up more and more because your home doesn't seem to be heating up, then there's definitely a problem. It most likely is not a problem with the thermostat, but with actual components inside of the heating system that might need to be replaced. Be sure to call in technicians right away to make these replacements or repairs.
- Short Cycling: Another problem could be short cycling. This is when you notice that the heat is sporadically going on and off throughout the day, which means your home definitely isn't getting warmed up enough and it's using too much energy.
- Yellow Pilot Light: Be sure to check the pilot light regularly. You definitely don't want to see that it's yellow. Instead, it should always be a blue color. If it's yellow, it means that there is something interfering with it, such as rust.
When you notice any of these five signs, you will know when to call in for repairs right away to ensure that problems are corrected before you have to go any amount of time without heat.